posted by Muriel Fahrion
It’s been 3.5 years since I started the Medicine Park Posts. I didn’t realize until last month that I was nearing the 200th post. Generally it is not a hard to do, coming up with ideas to write about. Medicine Park, OK was after-all named one of the top 10 Coolest Small Towns in America. This is not hype, believe me. I, along with my husband and dogs, have been a Parkies now for 8 years and are avid fans of all things MP. Not as many people would have noticed this exclamation point in the Wichita Mountains in 2002. Medicine Park has survived ups and downs in popularity through the decades. The town’s new positive persona took the involvement of those who believe and those who get-it-done. The turning point to the new shinier Medicine Park began back in the 1990’s but the last 8 years has seen several amazing changes as well.
Top 10 of the Last 8:
- The Charley Wright Creekside Trails. Thanks to dedication, grants and volunteerism
- Three Neighborhood Developments: Big Rock, Granite Ridge and the Woodlands
- Music Festivals: Mayor’s Red Dirt Ball, Mayor’s Blues Ball
- Street Theatre: Medicine Park Marauders, & Perils of the Park
- Opening of new businesses: Lulabelles, Laughing Lizard, Blissful Body, White Buffalo, Winery of the Wichitas, Medicine Park Ice Cream & Candy, Raspberry Leopard, Santa’s Snack Shop among them.
- Revitalization of the long time standing businesses. Old Plantation Restaurant, Cobblestone Shops (with sidewalk), expansion of the Park Tavern, Chaps My Ass (Motorcycle Accessories).
- New Rental Cottages, B&B’s and Inn.
- And the Promise of things to come: The Medicine Park Museum of Natural History
Click here to read the earliest Posts.
My View from the Park
What It Means for Me to be a Person of the Park.